Wednesday, October 12, 2016

RBD Review #11 | The Coldest Girl in Cold Town by Holly Black

Book info:
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black | 422 pages | Published 2013 | Teen, Fantasy, Paranormal, Vampires, Horror

Summary:
Coldtown was dangerous, Tana knew. A glamorous cage, a prison for the damned and anyone who wanted to party with them.
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. And once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.
One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself (Goodreads).

My thoughts:
Read March 29-31, 2016 | 4.5 stars (5 on GR)
First of all, I thought this was going to be some dumb, Twilight knock off, and I am so glad it wasn’t. This is well written, thought provoking, and really tense. There were so many ways it could have ended, and any of them would’ve worked as well as the actual ending.

I haven’t read a good vampire book in a long time and I was not disappointed in this one. It was stressful and sometimes sexy (as sexy as a seventeen year old can be), and I couldn’t read it fast enough. I was definitely impressed with a fast-paced and dangerous vampire book that isn’t Twilight or an Anne Rice book.

I really liked the main character, Tana, because she is really relatable. She has a tendency to laugh at really inappropriate times out of discomfort or fear and she didn’t immediately fall for the vampire guy, Gavriel, which was a relief.

This book really keeps you guessing because there are so many possible outcomes, and even though the end seems close, you realize there are still 150 pages left. I’m definitely going to check out Black’s other work! 

2 comments:

  1. I just bought this and wasn't too sure about it. I love Holly Black so I thought it was worth the shot but this definitely helps me feel more excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I think this was the first I'd read from her and I really liked it. The characters in this one are great. I also read The Dark Parts of the Forest and thought that was pretty good too!

      Delete

Review of Nightmares #37 | Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher

Book info: Fool Moon  (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher | 401 pages/10.5 hours |  Published January 9th 2001 by Roc | Adult, myster...