Wednesday, October 26, 2016

RBD Review #18 | The Crow by James O'Barr

Book info:
The Crow by James O’Barr | Published 1989 | 240 pages | Adult Graphic Novel, Horror, Supernatural, Paranormal

Summary:
Eric has returned from the dead, driven only by hate and the need to wreak revenge on those who killed him and raped and then killed his beloved Shelly. 

My thoughts:
Read May 17-18, 2016 | 5/5 stars 
Since watching the 1994 film adaptation nearly 10 years ago, I’ve been in love with Eric Draven and his vengeance quest. The Crow has been my favorite graphic novel, since pretty much ever. It’s so dark and gritty, but also heart wrenching and beautiful at the same time. James O'Barr has such a unique art style compared to other comics at the time. It switches from hard, heavy lines in the present time, to light beautiful sketches when remembering the past.

This graphic novel really makes me feel throughout the whole book. There isn’t a second where I’m not either angry, or sad, or swooning over O'Barr’s art (and poetic writing style, for that matter). I feel so much for Shelly and Eric that it hurts. I root for Eric the whole time, and sometimes, even feel for the bad guys.

I will say, this may not be for everyone. There are things, darker things, in this gn that aren’t in the movie. There are drugs and violence, obviously, but there’s a lot of self harm, and more-than-just-references to rape. So, I’ve warned you. I will harbor no fault.

I will recommend this to anyone who’ll listen. I believe it’s a deeply important moment in standalone comic history. Go read it. Also, I desperately miss Brandon Lee. Just sayin’.

(Maybe I’ll find a book I don’t love dearly one day. One day…)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of Nightmares #37 | Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher

Book info: Fool Moon  (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher | 401 pages/10.5 hours |  Published January 9th 2001 by Roc | Adult, myster...