Monday, October 31, 2016

RBD Review #13 | The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Book info:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater | 408 pages. Published 2012 | Teen Fantasy, Mystery, Paranormal

Summary:
  • First and foremost I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE BOOK JACKET SUMMARY. Read the review if you’re interested in knowing why. 
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.

His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore (courtesy of Goodreads).

My thoughts:
Read April 07-24, 2016 | 4/5 stars
First and foremost IGNORE THE BOOK SUMMARY. I only included it because I want to keep my reviews consistent. I heartily disagree with the cover summary because it tells nothing about the story and totally changes the tone with which you (read: I started) start the book. There is magic and psychics, mysteries and lots and lots of personal struggles. The summary tells so little of what the story actually is, and if I hadn’t seen so many raving reviews for this series, I wouldn’t have read it.

Now, to the good part. I was a little wary of this book/series solely because the blurb is bad. I’ve seen great reviews, fan art, and theories all over tumblr, as well as friends reading it and forcefully telling me to read it. I’m so glad I did. This was so strange but entertaining at the same time.

I wouldn’t put this book the “magical realism” category because the magic is a very prominent and important part of the story. The whole book is about magic and I think it’s important to go into this book knowing that. There is a crazy plot twist (no spoilers, I definitely wouldn’t want to ruin that one for you) that completely switched the way I was imagining this book. I was reading it, imagining it a different way than I think it’s meant to be read.

Don’t go into this book with any expectations. Know that it’s a fantasy/magical novel about a girl and four boys solving a mystery among other, more complicated things. Don’t let the summary throw off your view of this book. Let it show you the way because that’s the only way you’ll feel the way the rest of us do about it.

Now I’m off to start The Dream Thieves.

The Dream Thieves | Blue Lily, Lily Blue | The Raven King

Find it:

Find me:
Instagram | Goodreads | TwitterBookish Discord Tumblr post & the join link hosted by @booksandtea <3 div="">

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of Nightmares #37 | Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher

Book info: Fool Moon  (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher | 401 pages/10.5 hours |  Published January 9th 2001 by Roc | Adult, myster...