Wednesday, October 19, 2016

RBD Review #15 | the princess saves herself in this one by Amanda Lovelace

Book info:
the princess saves herself in this one by Amanda Lovelace | Published 2016 | 154 pages | Poetry, Feminist, Non-Fiction, Contemporary, Mental Illness, Mental Health

Summary:
“ah, life-
the thing
that happens
to us
while we’re off
somewhere else
blowing on
dandelions
& wishing
ourselves into
the pages of
our favorite
fairy tales.”

a poetry collection divided into four different parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, & you. the princess, the damsel, & the queen piece together the life of the author in three stages, while you serves as a note to the reader & all of humankind. explores life & all of its love, loss, grief, healing, empowerment, & inspirations (courtesy of Goodreads).

My thoughts:
Read May 05, 2016 | 5/5 stars


Woah. Just woah. I’m not a super fan of poetry, but I wanted to support Amanda and her first book so, here I am. I bought both the ebook and a physical copy, just because I couldn’t wait for the physical one to come in the mail. I can safely say I was not disappointed. This is definitely going in my list of favorites. Amanda’s writing is so clean and simple, but the way she puts words together is painfully moving. I read every single word in this book and was desperate to finish it.

It’s a really short books, but poetry collections are usually short (the only other collection I have to compare it to is Thomas and Beulah by Rita Dove). I devoured it in one sitting and loved every second of it. It gave me chills the whole time. Just imagine: Chills. For an hour. Non-stop. Pretty intense, right?

So, 5+ stars because I can’t actually give more. If your heart doesn’t ache while reading this, you better go back and read it again because you read it wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I love this review, I love this book, I love Manda, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to see your response to this book! I read it on the Subway train home from college one weekend, and I couldn't put it down. I'm glad to see I wasn't alone <3

    ReplyDelete

Review of Nightmares #37 | Fool Moon (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher

Book info: Fool Moon  (The Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher | 401 pages/10.5 hours |  Published January 9th 2001 by Roc | Adult, myster...